Fawlty Towers

Recommend or discuss other classic British TV series. They don't have to be horror related !
Scotty

Fawlty Towers

Post by Scotty »

Along with" Only Fools and horses" and "HHOH"this has to be my favourite show of all time. Ageless and brilliantly funny. I have even visited the location of where the hotel used to stand....Eerie!

johnny

Re: Fawlty Towers

Post by johnny »

Scotty wrote:Along with" Only Fools and horses" and "HHOH"this has to be my favourite show of all time. Ageless and brilliantly funny. I have even visited the location of where the hotel used to stand....Eerie!
Seems strange that its gone mate,what exists there now ?.Agreed this was a brilliant piece of televisual history. Watched Rising Damp recently , again marvellous.

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Its private houses now. But you can stand in front of the gateway and you can just about make out where the house used to stand. I took a few pics when I went down there. I will dig them out and post them up.
Lots of info here http://www.fawltysite.net/wooburngrange.htm

thirtysomething

Post by thirtysomething »

I didn't know it had gone...........so thats why we didn't see it at last years holiday :lol: , first time I have ever been down that part of the country, loved the place :D

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

thirtysomething wrote:I didn't know it had gone...........so thats why we didn't see it at last years holiday :lol: , first time I have ever been down that part of the country, loved the place :D
This wasnt Torquay was it?
The hotel wasnt anywhere near Torquay, It was in Bourne in Hertfordshire. Most of the exterior filming was either there or in Middlesex.

thirtysomething

Post by thirtysomething »

Scotty wrote:
thirtysomething wrote:I didn't know it had gone...........so thats why we didn't see it at last years holiday :lol: , first time I have ever been down that part of the country, loved the place :D
This wasnt Torquay was it?
The hotel wasnt anywhere near Torquay, It was in Bourne in Hertfordshire. Most of the exterior filming was either there or in Middlesex.

Hi yes it was, I was going on what a school friend said years ago, mind you I read his freinds reunited profile and he said his dad was a extra in starwars!

andy_pagin

Re: Fawlty Towers

Post by andy_pagin »

The disturbing thing about Fawlty Towers is how true to life it is. My wife used to be a hotel receptionist, the place had both a real life Sibil (different name though) and believe it or not a Manuel. He was the janitor in that hotel, once when nailing down a floorboard (with a six inch nail!) he hit a water pipe. He explained to a furious and moderately sloshed Sibil that 'pipe was not there yesterday'. I kid you not.

Best hotel documentary ever made.