Inside Hampden House (rare interior location pics!)

Want to know where a scene was filmed or you know of a filiming location ? Post it here
drewcrowstar

Inside Hampden House (rare interior location pics!)

Post by drewcrowstar »

Hampden House is closed to the general public, unfortunately preventing us from having a look at the locations inside. So imagine my delight when I was asked to be a photographer’s assistant at a wedding there!! I couldn’t believe my luck!

I was obviously preoccupied with the actual work, but I did get the chance to take quite a few pictures in the quieter moments. Some I had to take quickly (hence the less than brilliant lighting in some of them!) but it was a real thrill being able to walk around this magnificent and beautiful building, which remains almost unchanged since the HHOH days.

The very kind and helpful staff even gave us access to some of the out-of-bound areas (e.g. Mrs Ardoy’s hallway, and the gallery above the main hall).

So, I shall post some photos here (along with stills from the episodes they belong to), along with some other location shots I took nearby (including Mr Cushing's pet shop, Mr Elliott's estate agents, the actual House That Bled To Death, and a few just down the road from Hampden House where a certain yellow mac wearing hitchhiker tried to thumb a lift from me - fortunately I refused!!):
http://postimage.org/gallery/18l81awq/

Hope you enjoy!!

ChoonyFish

Post by ChoonyFish »

Fab photos! Thanks for sharing.

I noticed you could have weddings there: http://www.hampdenweddings.com/index.asp

I've seen the episodes many times, but I didn't realise so many of them used the same locations/rooms! Duh.

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Nice one :D

drewcrowstar

Post by drewcrowstar »

Thanking y'all, and glad you like 'em!

Yeah, most of the episodes used Hampden House or the very nearby locations for scenes - and after seeing them for real, you can appreciate just how clever they were in dressing up the same spaces differently for each episode.

You can't drive around the area of Great Hampden without passing many a recognisable location - you don't even have to look for them! They're everywhere! It's a beautiful part of the country too...

By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D

andy_pagin

Post by andy_pagin »

Nice work. Glad to see the scaffolding from the roof repairs is finally down. I'll try and get some decent exterior pics next time I'm working there. Not that I'm a photographer, I look after their computer systems.

drewcrowstar

Post by drewcrowstar »

Wow, what a cool job Andy!
I bet you never grow tired of visiting that gorgeous building - it's stunning inside and out, isn't it!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos up - They're great.

Its a shame they didn't do wedding receptions there when I got married. That would have been cool. Having lived around the area all my life I'd love to be able to look around inside.

I'd love to use some of them for the locations page on the site. Would that be ok ?

andy_pagin

Post by andy_pagin »

drewcrowstar wrote:Wow, what a cool job Andy!
I bet you never grow tired of visiting that gorgeous building - it's stunning inside and out, isn't it!
Certainly is, and since its a Grade I building, the interior you see in the episodes is exactly as it is in real life. yet again I have to give credit to Hampden Plc who have and continue to spend eye-watering amounts of money keeping the place utterly immaculate.

drewcrowstar

Post by drewcrowstar »

nealb wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post your photos up - They're great.

Its a shame they didn't do wedding receptions there when I got married. That would have been cool. Having lived around the area all my life I'd love to be able to look around inside.

I'd love to use some of them for the locations page on the site. Would that be ok ?
Thanks! And yeah, by all means use the photos anywhere you like (and if you'd prefer the photos without the stills below them, let me know!)

As Andy has stated, the Grade I status has kept it in immaculate condition, and it would be any HHOH fan's dream come true to get married there...although I think robbing a bank first would be the most feasible way to do it!!

If I get another wedding booking there, maybe I can come up with a cunning plan to sneak you all in! Hahaha...

andy_pagin

Post by andy_pagin »

drewcrowstar wrote:If I get another wedding booking there, maybe I can come up with a cunning plan to sneak you all in! Hahaha...
Well now, I wonder, If I asked the management very nicely if a site admin from here along with a photographer could do a not-for-profit photo shoot for this website? Seeing as the Hammer years were a significant part of the houses history, they might just be receptive to the idea. Actually finding a time when the house isn't in use would be tricky, office hours are out of the question and it tends to be used for functions whenever possible on the weekends, and I'm guessing they have to pay the grounds staff for overseeing any such activities. Also unfortunately one wing of the first floor of the house is currently rented out as private accommodation so we'd effectively be restricted to the ground floor, and possibly some second floor areas.

I'll have a think about it...

drewcrowstar

Post by drewcrowstar »

andy_pagin wrote:
Well now, I wonder, If I asked the management very nicely if a site admin from here along with a photographer could do a not-for-profit photo shoot for this website? Seeing as the Hammer years were a significant part of the houses history, they might just be receptive to the idea. Actually finding a time when the house isn't in use would be tricky, office hours are out of the question and it tends to be used for functions whenever possible on the weekends, and I'm guessing they have to pay the grounds staff for overseeing any such activities. Also unfortunately one wing of the first floor of the house is currently rented out as private accommodation so we'd effectively be restricted to the ground floor, and possibly some second floor areas.

I'll have a think about it...
I'm liking your thinking Andy! But yeah, I guess it has to be something that would benefit them, that hasn't already been done...
I'm shortly upgrading my part-time video sideline to something more serious with proper expensive equipment - so maybe they'd like some promo filming, or something like that?! Hmmm, one to think about...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well guys, a cunning plan to get a look around would definitely be a cool idea.

Thanks Drew for the use of the photos. I'll get to work on adding them to the site.

ChoonyFish

Post by ChoonyFish »

drewcrowstar wrote:
nealb wrote:
As Andy has stated, the Grade I status has kept it in immaculate condition, and it would be any HHOH fan's dream come true to get married there...although I think robbing a bank first would be the most feasible way to do it!!
Bet it costs a fortune. And the family would want to know why the Hell we were traipsing all the way to Bucks...

iran.ferreira

Re: Inside Hampden House (rare interior location pics!)

Post by iran.ferreira »

drewcrowstar
I am Brazilian and I'm going to England to learn about Hampden House, but you said it is not open to the public, I think we'll have access problems. What should I do to get a permit? Do you know someone who can help me? If necessary I'll work on some wedding, have a professional camera but do not know how to achieve this. I hope you can help me realize this dream, thanks.

drewcrowstar wrote:Hampden House is closed to the general public, unfortunately preventing us from having a look at the locations inside. So imagine my delight when I was asked to be a photographer’s assistant at a wedding there!! I couldn’t believe my luck!

I was obviously preoccupied with the actual work, but I did get the chance to take quite a few pictures in the quieter moments. Some I had to take quickly (hence the less than brilliant lighting in some of them!) but it was a real thrill being able to walk around this magnificent and beautiful building, which remains almost unchanged since the HHOH days.

The very kind and helpful staff even gave us access to some of the out-of-bound areas (e.g. Mrs Ardoy’s hallway, and the gallery above the main hall).

So, I shall post some photos here (along with stills from the episodes they belong to), along with some other location shots I took nearby (including Mr Cushing's pet shop, Mr Elliott's estate agents, the actual House That Bled To Death, and a few just down the road from Hampden House where a certain yellow mac wearing hitchhiker tried to thumb a lift from me - fortunately I refused!!):
http://postimage.org/gallery/18l81awq/

Hope you enjoy!!

drewcrowstar

Post by drewcrowstar »

Hi Iran - I was blessed to have gotten a bride and groom to have chosen Hampden House as a venue in order for me to be able to spend the day inside it, but I doubt very much I'll be lucky enough to ever get that opportunity again. So, in that sense, I'm afraid I can't really help you! But I suppose you could always email them and ask? It's worth a try I suppose! Other than that, the only idea I can come up with is for everybody on here to share the costs of hiring the place for a day (although that would be VERY expensive!!!) So I'm not sure that would work. But if I come up with any other ideas, I'll let you know...
Kind regards - Drew