The Isolated House in Silent Scream

Want to know where a scene was filmed or you know of a filiming location ? Post it here
Tinker

The Isolated House in Silent Scream

Post by Tinker »

I think I might have found Chuck and Annie's house, although more research may be needed to verify this.

Someone will have to go down there and turn off the power! Imagine the electricity bill after 28 years!

Joe

Post by Joe »

The Silent Scream was on TV a couple of nights ago and I wondered if the location of the house had been found yet so I decided to check this forum out again.

So, where do you think it is?

I tried hunting for it ages ago using Google Maps. There are a few clues in the episode e.g. you see a main road with a roundabout and a blue road sign which are for motorways. And, it is very likely that it is near the other locations used in the episode (the pet shop, etc). I was unsuccessful though.

It would be amazing if the house was still there.

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

I used the satellite images from Google Earth.

Pump Lane South, MARLOW, SL7 3RB

There are a couple of discrepancies, but it's the best one that fits the bill.
It no longer stands alone. There's Thames Valley Garden & leisure in front of it, and a farm behind (although it may have been there before).

The road layout is roughly the same, and even the wooded hill as seen at the end of the episode (with the roundabout in the foreground), is still there.

Neal, you're local aren't you, want to check it out?

Joe

Silent Scream house found!

Post by Joe »

That's it! You've blooming well cracked it!

I "googled" the area and e-mailed the webmaster of a local website. He confirms that it is indeed Pump Lane South.

He even sent me a photo taken by his father 20-25 years ago.
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_f ... 1422760970

Thank you so much for tracking the place down, Tinker. I can't believe the house is still there!

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Thank you. Your link is not letting me view the photo without registering, any chance of pasting it here? My next task is finding Lower Moat Manor, but I think that going to be more tricky. Here are a couple of satellite images of Chuck and Annie's House as it is now (about 18 months ago).

Joe

Post by Joe »

I've got to leave for work in literally five minutes :(
I'll post the photo(s) on here tomorrow morning if I can work out how.
Even better, the guy I e-mailled *actually lives in the house*!!!. He has sent me a photo of the lane and one of the house taken three years ago - what a transformation!

Back in the morning!

Joe

Post by Joe »

Here goes!

Silent Scream house c1985

Pump Lane South summer 2004

Silent Scream house summer 2004

I googled "Pump Lane South", find a website about the local village (Little Marlow), e-mail the webmaster to see if he can verify the location from an old screen grab from the episode. Not only can he confirm the location, he actually lives in the Silent Scream house. Unbelievable!

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Excellent detective work!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

WOW - Have been offline for a while to come back and find this !

As you may have gathered not finding this location has really bothered me. I knew it must be somewhere but could never work out where.

So a HUGE thank you to you guys for tracking this one down.

Ok If I use the photos to update the main site Joe ? Will be credited of course.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tinker wrote:Thank you. Your link is not letting me view the photo without registering, any chance of pasting it here? My next task is finding Lower Moat Manor, but I think that going to be more tricky. Here are a couple of satellite images of Chuck and Annie's House as it is now (about 18 months ago).
If you find Lower Moat Manor then that will be the icing on the cake. Trouble there aren't any other focal points in the clips to match up with.

Joe

Post by Joe »

nealb wrote:WOW - Have been offline for a while to come back and find this !

As you may have gathered not finding this location has really bothered me. I knew it must be somewhere but could never work out where.

So a HUGE thank you to you guys for tracking this one down.

Ok If I use the photos to update the main site Joe ? Will be credited of course.
I shall contact the guy again and ask him. Meantime, here are the emails back and forward.

Me:
Hello,

Sorry to trouble you out of the blue, but I am a big fan of the Hammer House of Horror Series and I wonder if you can help solve something that many fans of the series have been trying to find out for years.

In one episode called "The Silent Scream" a secluded cottage is used as a
filming location. A fellow fan of the series (after doing a lot of detective
work) reckons it may have been located in Pump Lane South. Other nearby
locations were definitely used in this episode. It certainly seems like a
good candidate when you look at aerial photography of the location.

Would you, or anyone else, happen to know from local knowledge if this was
in fact the actual location of the white cottage. The filming would have
taken place nearly thirty years ago so the immediate area might have looked considerably different then.

I have attached a photo of the cottage as it looked in the early 1980s

You can see more screenshots of the cottage and its surroundings at this
webpage:
http://www.nealb.f2s.com/hhidentify.html

If you can help solve this mystery, I would be very, very grateful.

Thanks,
Joe

Good day Joe,

Well your Sherlock Holmes or is it Inspector Clouseau, has paid off.
That is indeed Pump Lane South.
Not so secluded now - there's a Wyvale garden centre in those fields leading up to it.
I've got a few photo's, 1 attached, that my father took 20-25 years ago.
I have some present day ones (as I live there)

No trouble Joe,
Regards, Jonathan

Hello again,
That's amazing! I can't thank you enough for solving this. When you say you live there, do you mean you live in the actual house or just close by? I
think all the fans of the series had given up hope of finding out the
location assuming that the house was long gone and had been completely built over by new houses! And thanks for the photo, there is absolutely no doubt that it is the same building.

Thanks once again,
Joe

about as surprized as we are .... sitting here in "the cottage"
Yes we've been residents for about 20 years.

Do we get a blue plaque .... or one dripping in blood !!!!

I'll dig out a recent photo for you.

Regards, Jon & Julie - Residents @ Pump Cottage

Good day Joe,

a couple of photos for you ....

I'm told by 'er indooors that we've now got to watch the fllm.

Regards, Jon & Julie

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

nealb wrote:If you find Lower Moat Manor then that will be the icing on the cake. Trouble there aren't any other focal points in the clips to match up with.
I'm fairly confident I'll find it. It's really a case of working the clues. I know the red telephone box was fake, so I've got no hope trying to find that, but I believe there really is a signpost, and the roof of the Manor is very distinctive.

I'll keep you posted.

SGodrich

Post by SGodrich »

That's just awesome :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Now I'm the owner of a nice new DSLR I'll head on down to Little Marlow and take a few shots for the site.

Tinker

Post by Tinker »

What's a DSLR?